Monday, June 11, 2012

Sr. Mary Alice Thank You Letter



Dear Parents and Staff of the Montessori School of Manhattan,

It is wonderful to help those one knows and loves, but to help those whom one has never seen is true generosity.  Thank you.

Months ago, you sent us a tanque of materials, for which we were most grateful.  Then Mrs. Gauthier asked what else we really needed, and I told her the truth, with no thought of doing anything about it.  We need teacher training!  We are now trying to run a Montessori school in which the only two trained teachers have moved away.  Imagine my surprise when I heard that you were sending us teachers in June so see our needs, and then more teachers in August to teach us what we need to know!  And in between the visits, money began to arrive!  I have been walking around with a grin from ear to ear. 

But that was not the end of your generosity!  When Mrs. Gauthier asked how would I like to have a staff member from MSM as a consultant for a year,  I was speechless!  I didn't tell anybody at first as I had the superstition that if I talked about it, it might not happen. I simply cannot believe your goodness. This one thing will change the face of our entire school and surrounding community forever! I am endlessly grateful!

I am 72 years old, a native of Chicago,  I have taught in many places in the US, and from Junior High to College.  Then God drew me to the Dominican Republic for a year.  Each year I have said, OK, one more year... 15 times....  I began to work with little ones.  No one is more surprised than I. 

So we are off on a great adventure, all of you, and all of us.  We pledge ourselves to practice each thing that you teach us, and we assure you that every penny you give us goes directly to our children in the form of medical treatment, food, vitamins, teachers, materials, dental care.

I invite you to walk through our migrant camp now by viewing a video that an American volunteer made last year.  Their smiles are real and please see each wave as a thank you to you, the parents and staff of the Montessori School of Manhattan.Click Here for Video

With most sincere gratitude,
Sr. Mary Alice Minogue,  for all the kids and teachers.



No comments:

Post a Comment